OCEAN SPRINGS, Miss. (AP) — Authorities say DNA from a 2014 rape in Mississippi was recently matched to that of a Utah man arrested on a drug charge this year.
News outlets report 32-year-old Aaron Roy McMillian of American Fork, Utah, was arrested Friday on a rape charge and is at a Utah jail awaiting an extradition hearing.
Ocean Springs, Mississippi, police Capt. William Jackson says the department learned of the match last month and verified McMillian lived in the area at the time of the attack.
The woman told authorities she was walking across an area bridge one night when a man pushed her to the ground and raped her.
The Utah County Sheriff’s Office says McMillian was arrested in May on drug charges and his DNA was entered into a national database.
Today’s Top Stories
- New health order could impact school dances, graduation ceremonies
- Tabitha’s Way
- Malfunctioning Mississippi voting machine caught on video
- Utah delegation on COVID relief bill: “Congress has lost their minds”
- Two construction areas to be aware of this weekend may affect traffic
- The bubonic plague is back again in China’s Inner Mongolia
- Utah House OKs bill to bring back vehicle registration postcards
- Utah tourism office unveils three-year plan to keep visitors and money rolling in
- Ban on assault weapons/high-capacity magazines likely shot down
- Police believe the El Paso shooter targeted Latinos. These are the victims’ stories