SALT LAKE CITY — A man accused of human trafficking involving two women is under arrest on Wednesday, according to the Utah Attorney General’s office.
Human Trafficking charges against Brown
Charges against James Savage Brown include five first-degree felonies, including sexual exploitation and assault, and two second-degree felonies of aggravated exploitation of prostitution.
The two victims told special agents stories of sexual assault, physical abuse and repeated forced prostitution, according to a press released from the AG’s office.
Agents learned of Brown’s activity earlier this year after one of the victims was released from the Salt Lake County Detention Center.
While there, the victim encountered another woman who had suffered similarly at the hands of Brown, according to Wednesday’s release.
State officials say Brown has a lengthy criminal history, both in Utah and California.
In addition to the charges already filed, agents found stolen credit cards, marijuana, and a distributable amount of meth in his possession at the time of his arrest.
The AG’s office has requested that Brown’s bail be denied, believing he poses a risk of danger to the community.
According to the National Human Trafficking Hotline, 35 cases have been reported in 2018 alone, with a majority of cases revolving around sex trafficking.
If you or someone you know may be in danger of trafficking, you can report a tip directly online or call the 24/7 National Human Trafficking Hotline 1 (888) 373-7888.
Today’s Top Stories
- Judge rules Chad Daybell should face trial in case of missing kids
- Man who pleaded guilty to Mackenzie Lueck’s murder sentenced to life in prison
- WATCH: Backcountry sledder captures avalanche in Summit County, Utah
- UPDATE: Suspect jailed in Midvale domestic violence homicide
- All-clear given at Lone Peak High School after possible “wrong school” threat
- Alaska moose poacher fined $100,000, sentenced to jail
- Silver Island: a desert escape well worth a visit
- GOP incumbent Matt Bevin trailing in Kentucky governor’s race
- Three people gored as running of the bulls ends in Pamplona
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints asks people to drop “Mormon,”…