SALT LAKE CITY — Rep. Carol Spackman Moss, D-Holladay, is introducing legislation which would give police authority to pull over drivers for using a phone driving and I. am. convinced.
If you are a long-time fan, you’ve heard me talk about cell phones in cars. I’ve always been of the opinion that they are just the latest of a myriad of potential distractions. Food, kids, and even the radio seemed like they were just as distracting. But I’ve changed my mind. Too many times I’ve been behind a car swerving or slowing for no apparent reason only to see the driver busy texting.
Some argue that this isn’t going to do anything to actually make people safer; instead, it’s just appeasing the perception of safety. If people stopped using their phone while they were driving, then we wouldn’t need legislation every year to prevent people from causing accidents because they’re distracted by their phone.
If we were really responsible, we would all agree phones are a distraction and would put them down while driving. But too many people are putting other drivers in danger because they won’t make the responsible choice. The law is there to protect us from people who won’t act in everyone’s best interest. Rep. Moss is advancing a bill that would do just that – help protect us by punishing drivers who won’t put down the phone.
Jay Mcfarland hosts the JayMac News Show as well as the fictional podcast, Hosts of Eden. KSL Newsradio is part of Bonneville Media and based in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Today’s Top Stories
- Stacey Marshall – Jordan Ridge Elementary
- Plan to retrieve Titanic radio spurs debate on human remains
- Parents of Susan Powell endure day of graphic court testimony
- What are you Eating for the Big Game? 5 Quick and Easy Recipes for Sunday Game Food that…
- Donovan Mitchell: good Samaritan deed goes viral
- Travels with President Nelson: Touching the hearts of Church members around the world
- Courage Reins
- Dave & Dujanovic: Was police use of force in Minneapolis akin to murder?
- These 9 hand sanitizers may contain a potentially fatal ingredient, FDA warns
- A Las Vegas rescue group has captured ‘Cluck Norris’ and is searching for the…