SALT LAKE CITY — Utah’s public school enrollment is growing, and the state says student diversity is growing, too.
In the Utah State Board of Education’s 2018 numbers, the public school student population rose by 7,561 this year to 659,909, making up a fifth of the Beehive State’s overall population.
A quarter of those students are students of color, reflecting a 2.7-percent increase from 2017. Seventeen percent identify as Hispanic, and 3% as multiracial.
Seven percent are learning English as a second language.
One-third of public school students identify as economically disadvantaged and 12-percent have learning disabilities.
Today’s Top Stories
- Three things you need to do before you can run a marathon
- Utah parents want vape tax
- VIDEO: Police shooting in Holladay sends one person to hospital
- Purge The Spurge: Utah County Offers To Exchange Invasive Poisonous Plant For Native Plant…
- Book Buddies: Kids can read to Utah shelter pets virtually
- Florida vacation home invaded by vomiting vultures
- Layton police arrest two suspects in fatal shooting
- Two alarm fire evacuates residents at Millcreek apartments, second fire in less than a year
- Man says he removed the mysterious Utah monolith
- A Las Vegas rescue group has captured ‘Cluck Norris’ and is searching for the…