SALT LAKE CITY — New body cam footage shows a heated exchange between a suspect and officer before investigators say the officer fired his service weapon.
The video picks up after the officer confronted 28-year-old Robert Ortega. The officer learning Ortega had a warrant out for his arrest.
Ortega yells, “Sir, I’m not doing anything! No, I’m not doing anything!”
The Salt Lake City officer – who is not being identified – then chases Ortega to his car after unsuccessfully using a taser.
The officer asks, “Do you want to get [expletive] shot?”
“No, man. I don’t,” Ortega replies.
Ortega wasn’t hit by the officer’s round, and was able to drive away, but police arrested him a few days later after receiving a tip he was holed up in a hotel.
Per normal protocol, that officer is on administrative leave while the investigation continues.
Ortega was originally in prison after being convicted of aggravated sexual abuse of a child in 2011.
Today’s Top Stories
- Susan Powell can’t be in Nutty Putty Cave, investigators say
- DWR lets people take unlimited number of fish from Wasatch County fishing hole
- Wasatch Adaptive Sports
- Zion National Park and other Utah national parks begin re-opening
- The mystery of the Utah monolith found in the desert
- A dancing cockatoo named Snowball learned 14 moves all by himself
- Inside a coronavirus hospital in Italy, doctors warn: get ready
- Chris Evans sending ‘Captain America’ shield to little boy who saved sister from…
- Rare Nike ‘Moon Shoe’ up for auction at Sotheby’s could fetch $160,000
- Investigators make major drug busts on I-80 in Utah