MURRAY — A young girl and her grandmother are dead from a fire inside their Murray home Monday morning.
The fire was reported around 8:00 a.m. at a house near 5790 S. 700 W. Responding fire crews found 7-year-old Cassidy Jackson and her grandmother Lisa Wiley dead on the second floor of the home. Cassidy’s mother and another family member escaped without injury.
“Cassidy is beautiful,” says neighbor and family friend Liz Stanfield. “Just bright, full of life. I’ve watched them grow up.”
Murray Fire officials say the fire was particularly difficult to put out with the large amount of belongings in the home as well as the secluded area in which the flames burned.
Now the family looks for a way forward with Thanksgiving days away and their family missing two of its most beloved members.
“They really don’t have anything. From what I’ve been able to assess, they don’t have anything for funerals.”
The family has set up a GoFundMe page to help cover costs.
Cause of the fire is still under investigation.
Today’s Top Stories
- Teens are binge drinking more than ever
- Susan Powell can’t be in Nutty Putty Cave, investigators say
- Scientists say vodka from Chernobyl’s exclusion zone is safe to drink
- Storm clean up efforts from wind damage is bringing communities together
- Latest E. coli outbreak spreads to Utah
- The original Gerber Baby just turned 93
- A new conversation: Dave & Dujanovic starts June 4
- Casey Scott, 200 days sober, opens up about the problems that led to his horrifying crash
- Utah agriculture and food: cook any seeds you receive from China
- Gary Herbert gives his final speech as Utah governor