OGDEN — Police say the armed robbery suspect killed in an officer-involved shooting on Tuesday is Anthony Ray Borden-Cortez, 18, of Ogden.
In a news conference Wednesday, police say Borden-Cortez was wanted in a string of several armed robberies in Weber and Davis Counties. Tuesday, detectives spotted a stolen vehicle at an apartment complex in Ogden they believed had been driven by the suspect in the robbery.
— Nick Wyatt (@KSLNickWyatt) December 5, 2018
Ogden Police Deputy Chief Eric Young told reporters police used a tire-flattening device, then watched as Borden-Cortez tried to drive away. According to Young, Borden-Cortez struck two other vehicles as well as a police vehicle while fleeing.
Young says that’s when officers approached the stolen vehicle and told Borden-Cortez to get out. Police say an officer opened fire after Borden-Cortez pointed a gun at him. That gun turned out to be a BB gun.
“It had a brown stock, it had a black barrel, and as you looked at it, you would have thought it was a rifle,” says Young.
Borden-Cortez was taken to the hospital, where he died.
According to Young, despite training and attempts to deescalate tense situations, the officers must do what they need to in order to keep the public and themselves safe.
“Trust me when I say our officers don’t want to deal with these kinds of situations,” Young explains. “Their families do not want to be put in these types of situations. It’s hard on the officers, it’s hard on the families, it’s hard on the department.”
Detectives from Ogden, Woods Cross, Layton, and Roy are still searching for another suspect.
Today’s Top Stories
- 47-year-old mother of four graduates top of her class at UVU College of Science
- Burgess Owens in Washington for orientation for Utah’s 4th district
- How does lake effect snow work? A primer
- NWSL players now have the option to remain in the locker room during the National Anthem
- Man accused of attacking jogger in Kaysville at gunpoint while intoxicated
- Chad Daybell faces new charges a day after Lori Vallow appeared in court on same counts
- Valentine’s is Long Since Over: Here are 5 Year Round Ways You Can Continue to Share…
- BYU rallies to beat Tennessee 29-26 in OT
- “Judge Judy” ending after 25 seasons
- Benjamin Keough, grandson of Elvis Presley, dies at 27