SALT LAKE CITY – Thousands of people are signing an online petition over a movie poster.
The promotional poster for “Once Upon a Deadpool” looks just like a famous painting known to many in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
In the original Anderson painting, Christ is at the center surrounded by angels. In the poster, Deadpool is in the center.
Tuesday night, 25,000 people had signed the change.org petition. By Wednesday afternoon, it was over 31,000 signatures.
The petitioners are requesting that 20th Century Fox change the poster: “It is unknown if the picture was used to intentionally mock the Church of Jesus Christ, but it is clear it was copied from the original picture. This is a form a religious discrimination. We ask that the picture be not used or posted in any manner.”
Famous images are frequently copied in “memes” or for parody, but copyright law does not always cover the use of a copyrighted image for commercial gain.
Today’s Top Stories
- 47-year-old mother of four graduates top of her class at UVU College of Science
- 2 Utah families bonded after organ donation saved man’s life
- Fake news: what it is, and how it can influence politics
- NWSL players now have the option to remain in the locker room during the National Anthem
- How does lake effect snow work? A primer
- Valentine’s is Long Since Over: Here are 5 Year Round Ways You Can Continue to Share…
- Special delivery: Over 500,000 protective face masks transported to Salt Lake International Airport
- BYU rallies to beat Tennessee 29-26 in OT
- Burgess Owens in Washington for orientation for Utah’s 4th district
- Man accused of attacking jogger in Kaysville at gunpoint while intoxicated