OGDEN — A Layton man is in critical condition after a rock weighing more than 150 lbs. crashed through the windshield of his truck on Saturday afternoon.
The man, 57, was driving through the Pineview Dam Spillway area of Ogden Canyon when the rock fell through his front windshield and came to rest in the back seat, according to the Weber County Sheriff’s Office. The man then lost control of his vehicle and crashed into the mountainside, sustaining injuries that required his hospitalization in critical condition.
The man’s wife, who was riding in the passenger seat, received minor injuries.
Lt. Cortney Ryan of the Weber County Sheriff’s Office said that the rock likely fell from the cliff area as a result of the recent snow and warmer temperatures, which may have helped dislodge it. According to Ryan, a sheriff’s deputy responding to the incident had his truck hit by falling rocks as well.
The Utah Department of Transportation closed the spillway for about an hour and a half after the incident, said Sheriff’s Sgt. Stephanie Tatton, both to allow any other loose rocks to fall and to clean up the debris. UDOT crews successfully cleaned all the fallen rocks from the pavement.
Today’s Top Stories
- Susan Powell can’t be in Nutty Putty Cave, investigators say
- Connect KSL to your Amazon Echo Device
- Second Amendment rally at state capitol to push back against new gun laws
- Gunman who killed U. student tried to kidnap witness, police say
- Legal expert says insanity defense not likely for Grantsville teen
- Taco Tuesday coincides with Cinco de Mayo
- The mystery of the Utah monolith found in the desert
- Inside a coronavirus hospital in Italy, doctors warn: get ready
- A dancing cockatoo named Snowball learned 14 moves all by himself
- Chris Evans sending ‘Captain America’ shield to little boy who saved sister from…