HOUSTON (AP) — Five Houston officers were injured in a shooting Monday in an incident involving a suspect and taken to a hospital, police said.
Houston police tweeted the officers were “struck with gunfire following an encounter with a suspect” Monday afternoon in a neighborhood in southeast Houston.
Joe Gamaldi, president of the Houston Police Officers’ Union, tweeted that two officers were in critical condition and the other three in stable condition at Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center in Houston.
One of the officers was transported to the hospital by helicopter, Gamaldi said.
“Please keep them and their families in your thoughts and prayers,” he said.
A suspect was dead at the scene and SWAT officers were working to make sure no one else was inside the building where the shooting took place, police said.
Additional information on the suspect was not immediately available.
Both Turner and Police Chief Art Acevado went to the hospital where the injured officers were taken, but didn’t immediately comment to media there. They were scheduled to hold a news conference later Monday evening.
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said the shooting was a “solemn reminder” of the service and sacrifices made by officers.
“The city of Houston and the Houston Police Department will have whatever state resources they need to bring swift justice to those involved,” Abbott said in a statement.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Today’s Top Stories
- Storm clean up efforts from wind damage is bringing communities together
- Knolls Fire Update: Evacuation order lifted but still possible, only 25% contained
- Utah a good home for autonomous drone development, military one reason
- Evacuations force California man to cancel SLC trip
- Utah agriculture and food: cook any seeds you receive from China
- Tulsi Gabbard files lawsuit against Hillary Clinton for defamation
- NFL wades back into controversy with new Super Bowl police shooting ad
- Boris Johnson promises UK will provide Hong Kongers path to citizenship after national…
- Countdown to Super Tuesday: Candidates hope Utah voters will energize their campaigns
- Moderna asking US, European regulators to OK its virus shots