LISBON, Portugal — A missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints serving in the Portugal Lisbon mission has died.
Elder Joao Victor Rodrigues Gondim, 20, had been serving in the Lisbon mission since July 2017. Church leaders say he was from Sao Paulo, Brazil.
Church Spokesman Daniel Woodruff said that Elder Gondim passed away Monday after collapsing during a soccer game with other missionaries serving in Portugal. The cause of his death is unknown.
In a statement, the church said:
Our hearts go out to his family as they mourn his passing. We pray they will feel peace and support during this difficult time. The Church is working to provide counseling to those missionaries who witnessed this tragedy.
Today’s Top Stories
- These 9 hand sanitizers may contain a potentially fatal ingredient, FDA warns
- Plan to retrieve Titanic radio spurs debate on human remains
- African Gray parrot still missing – Bluffdale owners offer reward
- Some Utah Jazz players’ heights shrunk a bit
- A Las Vegas rescue group has captured ‘Cluck Norris’ and is searching for the…
- How bad does it hurt to be stung by a giant murder hornet?
- Write-in candidate requests a list mailed to voters, naming write-in candidates