LOGAN, Utah (AP) — Sam Merrill had 20 points and five assists, Utah State built a 20-point halftime lead, and the Aggies defeated UNLV 82-65 on Saturday.
The Aggies outscored the Runnin’ Rebels 27-10 over the final 10 minutes of the first half to lead 48-28. Utah State shot 55 percent in the period and UNLV hit only 31 percent. The lead reached 29 with about eight minutes remaining in regulation and the Aggies led 82-56 at 2:51 before going scoreless the rest of the way.
Diogo Brito had 15 points and five rebounds, and Neemias Queta added 10 points and 16 rebounds for Utah State (17-5, 7-2 Mountain West). Utah State has won six in a row and is 10-1 at home.
Joel Ntambwe had 18 points for UNLV (11-10, 5-4). Kris Clyburn and Amauri Hardy scored 14 apiece, Clyburn adding nine rebounds.
For the game, Utah State shot 49 percent and made 10 of 23 3-pointers (44 percent). UNLV shot 37 percent, 9 of 24 (38 percent) from 3-point distance.
Today’s Top Stories
- Sneakers designed in honor of Obama to go on sale for $25,000
- Winter solstice 2019: A short day that’s long on ancient traditions
- UPDATED: 11-year-old boy dead after accidental discharge of a firearm in Kamas Valley
- Utah athlete, Lauren McCluskey, laid to rest
- No, police aren’t responsible for enforcing the face mask mandate
- Congo park ranger tells of taking viral selfie with gorillas
- Cops looking for woman after she allegedly uses a taser on 9-year-old boy
- Lauren McCluskey solved her own stalking case. Here’s how.
- Utah man gets up to life in prison in ex-girlfriend’s death
- Utah man involved in US Capitol riot to face more charges