Nominated by Police Chief Mike Brown:
“Sergeant Joe Cyr currently supervises the Homeless Outreach Service Team (HOST) and the Crisis Intervention Team (CIT) for the Salt Lake City Police Department. Joe has a wide range of experience as a leader.
Joe continually goes above and beyond in his role with the most marginalized members of our community. The homeless,
drug addicted, and mentally ill struggle in many aspects of their lives. Joe has embraced the paradigm of officers attempting to solve the “root” problem as opposed to the symptoms.
Joe has built extremely valuable relationships with many of homeless and knows them by name. Joe epitomizes the Henry Thoreau quote “There are a thousand hacking at the branches
of evil to one who is striking at the root.”
As a police sergeant, Joe has a significant influence over newer officers. Joe, and his entire team, has made a difference to those in need and is a true asset to our Department and the community as a whole.”
Today’s Top Stories
- Benjamin Keough, grandson of Elvis Presley, dies at 27
- Detective on the McCluskey case fired for mishandling another young woman’s domestic…
- All-clear given at Lone Peak High School after possible “wrong school” threat
- Latest Mitt Romney polls: Republican approval rating drop
- Excelsior Academy first-graders moved to online school