WASHINGTON, D.C. — Among the Utahns who will be at tonight’s State of the Union address is Jennie Taylor, the wife of North Ogden mayor Brent Taylor who died during a recent tour in Afghanistan. She is the guest of Congressman Rob Bishop (R-Ogden).
Bishop invited Taylor to President Trump’s annual speech to say thank you for the sacrifices her family made. But he also hopes it gets the Senate to speed up passage of a bill renaming the Ogden Outstation veteran’s center in her husband’s honor.
“Maybe putting a face to that would be of some importance to those staffers and those members because they’ve heard the story, and they all respect the sacrifice the Taylor family made,” Bishop said.
The House passed the bill unanimously, and Bishop thinks it has an excellent chance in the Senate.
Today’s Top Stories
- Navajo signs agreement for second phase of buyback program
- Starbucks has officially abandoned straws for sippy cup lids … well, mostly
- Italian socialist Sassoli to be president of EU Parliament
- David Haight – Mountain View High School
- ‘The End’ of Fortnite leaves millions staring at a black hole
- Thousands of cold-stunned sea turtles being rescued in Texas
- Jordan School District to address COVID-19 at Riverton High
- ‘I just wanted to be better’: Utah woman details experience with heroin addiction
- Cursive writing has been making a comeback in classrooms
- Microearthquake reported northwest of Magna, no damage or injuries