WASHINGTON, D.C. — Among the Utahns who will be at tonight’s State of the Union address is Jennie Taylor, the wife of North Ogden mayor Brent Taylor who died during a recent tour in Afghanistan. She is the guest of Congressman Rob Bishop (R-Ogden).
Bishop invited Taylor to President Trump’s annual speech to say thank you for the sacrifices her family made. But he also hopes it gets the Senate to speed up passage of a bill renaming the Ogden Outstation veteran’s center in her husband’s honor.
“Maybe putting a face to that would be of some importance to those staffers and those members because they’ve heard the story, and they all respect the sacrifice the Taylor family made,” Bishop said.
The House passed the bill unanimously, and Bishop thinks it has an excellent chance in the Senate.
Today’s Top Stories
- Iran state TV: Tehran fires at Iraqi base housing US troops
- Changes to the HOV lanes for hybrid vehicles in Utah, starting today
- Mall giant Simon says nearly all of its shopping centers have reopened
- Disney World’s July 11 reopening: 6 things to watch
- Passenger says they asked boat driver to stop drinking before deadly Lake Powell crash
- Early morning fire tears through SLC apartment complex
- Need a “working cat?” Best Friends wants to connect you
- Poll says 12% of Utahns say they will opt-out of the COVID-19 vaccine
- On Twitter, limited number of users spreading fake info
- Anti-mask crowd fills Utah County Commission meeting on mask mandate, meeting abruptly called off