CIRCLEVILLE, Utah — Searchers on Friday found the body of a snowmobiler caught in an avalanche near Circleville Mountain Thursday.
Sgt. Glen Woolsey with the Beaver Co. Sheriff’s Office says three snowmobilers from Washington Co. were in a popular area for snowmobiling Thursday afternoon when one of them reported seeing the two ahead of him get caught up in an avalanche around 5:00 p.m.
Sgt. Woolsey says one of the two caught in the avalanche was able to signal for help and was recovered. That snowmobiler was injured but is expected to be OK. The other one caught in the avalanche had not been seen since 10 p.m. Thursday night. That person’s body was recovered during the day on Friday.
“Because of the new snow and the danger involved, it would create a major hazard for our search and rescue to go up there in the dark. DPS helicopter was flying in that area (Thursday night), assessing it and seeing if we can find any evidence or signs,” says Sgt. Woolsey.
Searchers returned first thing Friday morning. The snowmobiler who died has not yet been identified.
Today’s Top Stories
- Silver Island: a desert escape well worth a visit
- Special delivery: Over 500,000 protective face masks transported to Salt Lake International Airport
- Utah drivers licenses one step closer to going digital
- Pandemic pause ends in Susan Powell parents lawsuit trial
- 4 tips for getting a COVID-19 vaccine appointment booked sooner in Utah
- All Utah 24 Hour Fitness locations to close, customers transferred to VASA
- Santa, reindeer granted permit to enter US on Christmas Eve
- What to do if you encounter a dangerous animal in the wild
- New wildlife bridge comes with cameras, warnings
- Lagoon ready to open without reservations