TAYLORSVILLE — A student caused a brief evacuation of Taylorsville Elementary School after bringing a fake grenade to campus.
According to school officials, the student walked into the front office around 10 a.m. Tuesday and placed the mock grenade on a desk.
The student then said “happy grenade day.”
Granite School District spokesman Ben Horsley says students were evacuated to a Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints building across the street.
Authorities examined the grenade and determined it was a fake.
Students and staff resumed classes about 30 minutes later.
Horsley says the student bought the grenade at a store over the weekend.
He did not say if the student will face any discipline or share any details such as his age and grade.
Today’s Top Stories
- Dave & Dujanovic: Was police use of force in Minneapolis akin to murder?
- Travels with President Nelson: Touching the hearts of Church members around the world
- These 9 hand sanitizers may contain a potentially fatal ingredient, FDA warns
- Courage Reins
- Parents of Susan Powell endure day of graphic court testimony
- Plan to retrieve Titanic radio spurs debate on human remains
- What are you Eating for the Big Game? 5 Quick and Easy Recipes for Sunday Game Food that…
- Pres. Trump escalates war on Twitter, social media protections
- Grandfather of suspect in the death of little girl says he is a troubled family member
- African Gray parrot still missing – Bluffdale owners offer reward