TAYLORSVILLE — A student caused a brief evacuation of Taylorsville Elementary School after bringing a fake grenade to campus.
According to school officials, the student walked into the front office around 10 a.m. Tuesday and placed the mock grenade on a desk.
The student then said “happy grenade day.”
Granite School District spokesman Ben Horsley says students were evacuated to a Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints building across the street.
Authorities examined the grenade and determined it was a fake.
Students and staff resumed classes about 30 minutes later.
Horsley says the student bought the grenade at a store over the weekend.
He did not say if the student will face any discipline or share any details such as his age and grade.
Today’s Top Stories
- Susan Powell can’t be in Nutty Putty Cave, investigators say
- Starbucks has officially abandoned straws for sippy cup lids … well, mostly
- Navajo signs agreement for second phase of buyback program
- Abandoned sacred places around the world
- David Haight – Mountain View High School
- Write-in candidate requests a list mailed to voters, naming write-in candidates
- What are the rules for political third-party ads?
- New York’s death toll nears 1,000 as ventilators and a Central Park field hospital are…
- Athletes at the Tokyo Olympics will not need a vaccine to participate, organizers say
- Lauren McCluskey solved her own stalking case. Here’s how.