SALT LAKE CITY – Cedar Hills has passed a law raising the age to buy tobacco products to 21 years old, following the example of Lehi City. Now, the Utah Legislature is considering a statewide bill on the issue.
Some advocates say it’s the wrong approach.
Advocates filled the capitol rotunda on Thursday to talk about a bill that would raise the age to 21 in Utah to buy tobacco products.
Brooke Carlisle with the Cancer Action Network says it’s the wrong solution.
Carlisle says we shouldn’t punish kids for buying them, we should punish stores for selling them. Retailers need to be held accountable for selling to minors, she says.
“Making sure convenience stores and tobacco specialty shops are not selling to kids. Really doing compliance checks on the local level from the health department, and forcing the penalties on retailers.”
And she says big tobacco companies need to be held accountable for marketing to kids.
“The tobacco industry spends a million dollars an hour on marketing. So to punish the kids who have been subject to that marketing, is not the best solution.”
Retailers, she says, need stronger rules.
“We think, if someone is punished, it’s a deterrent. So if a kid knows they’ll be fined, they won’t do it. But I don’t think that resonates when you are 15. That’s not how you think.”
This group also says HB 324 should make the age change on one specific day, instead of a phased in approach. The group plans to meet with Representative Steve Eliason over his bill on Friday.
Today’s Top Stories
- 6.4-magnitude quake rattles Nevada
- Is the kissing bug a threat in Utah?
- Friends mourn Utah veterinarian shot in New Mexico
- Toxic algal bloom spotted on Utah Lake, a first for 2019
- Susan Powell created a “paper trail” of evidence before her disappearance,…
- Man arrested in connection with body found in Ogden
- Neighborhood Connection
- UDOT: Expect delays I-15 NB in Salt Lake City on Sunday
- UTA offering free fare to COVID-19 vaccination appointments
- Loving Little Cottonwood Canyon to death: is a gondola the answer?