SALT LAKE CITY — Former congressional candidate Shireen Ghorbani will get her day in government after all.
Ghorbani, who also ran for Salt Lake County mayor when former mayor Ben McAdams’ seat opened up, was elected to the Salt Lake County Council on Saturday.
Ghorbani beat out nine other candidates in a special election held by the Salt Lake County Democratic Party Central Committee. Her seat previously was filled by Jenny Wilson, who was elected to take McAdams’ place as County Mayor.
Ghorbani, who works at the University of Utah and heads the board of the Rape Recovery Center, said she was motivated to enter public service by issues like air quality, affordable housing and accessible education. She hopes to prioritize the interests of working families over corporations, and put mental health care and addiction treatment ahead of incarceration.
Today’s Top Stories
- Where are fires burning across the western US? An interactive map
- Utah driver licenses will soon get a “gold star”
- Rebecca Mikkelsen – Washington Terrace Elementary
- Officer Rusty Bingham & Officer Trent Thompson, Riverdale Police Department
- Suspected Utah bank robbers killed man in Colorado, authorities say
- Plan to retrieve Titanic radio spurs debate on human remains
- Dropping mask mandate in April is too soon, county mayor says
- Mantua police chief dismissed, other officers resign shortly after
- The 5 Best Food and Board Game Pairings
- RV, Starbucks at center of traffic snarl in SLC