OREM, Utah — Orem Police has identified the victim in Thursday night’s shooting.
Police say 19-year-old Elbert Paule shot and killed Dominique Barnette, 26, at about 8:30 p.m. Thursday night near the Parkway Lofts at 1225 W. 1000 South, just south of the FrontRunner station.
Orem Police and several other police agencies lifted a shelter in place early Friday morning as they continue searching for a suspect in connection with a shooting at the nearby Utah Valley University campus.
Police do not currently know where Paule is. The police agency has issued a reward for any information that leads to his capture.
Paule is described as around 5 feet 8 inches tall and wearing a long-sleeved yellow sweater.
Students and others on the campus were told to shelter in place around 9 p.m. Thursday night which was later lifted early Friday morning.
Orem Police Lt. Todd Colledge says they don’t believe an active shooter situation still exists and there is no imminent danger to the public.
Students are sheltered in place at the Student Life and Wellness Center due to reports of shots fired at Parkway Lofts. They are currently waiting for the all clear. pic.twitter.com/NzTTALJhKq
— UVU Review (@uvureview) March 1, 2019
Lt. Colledge also says the suspected shooter and the victim did know each other. The victim was taken to the hospital in critical condition prior to be declared deceased.
Orem Police Department is continuing to investigate and Utah Valley University urged students to continue to use caution as Police continue to look for Paule and that classes will stay on schedule on Friday and that counseling will be available on campus.
UVU Alert: 3/1, 6:00a, Campus is open. Classes will follow the usual schedule. Continue to use caution. Counseling services available on campus.
— UVU (@UVU) March 1, 2019
This story is developing and will be updated.
Today’s Top Stories
- Courage Reins
- These 9 hand sanitizers may contain a potentially fatal ingredient, FDA warns
- What are you Eating for the Big Game? 5 Quick and Easy Recipes for Sunday Game Food that…
- Plan to retrieve Titanic radio spurs debate on human remains
- How bad does it hurt to be stung by a giant murder hornet?
- Grace Struiksma – Channing Hall Charter School
- Pres. Trump escalates war on Twitter, social media protections
- Salt Lake shoppers looking for deals on Black Friday
- Write-in candidate requests a list mailed to voters, naming write-in candidates
- Some Utah Jazz players’ heights shrunk a bit