LAYTON — A 4-year-old Layton boy lost a hand Sunday while trying to play with a dog through a fence, according to police.
The child, whose name has not been released, had a sock on his hand when he reached through the chain-link fence in his backyard to play with two huskies who live next door. One of the dogs bit down and amputated the child’s hand just above the wrist, according to Layton Fire Battalion Chief Jason Cook.
The boy’s family helped limit his bleeding until crews arrived at the home, near 1100 North and 3600 West in Layton, around 3:30 PM. Investigators were unable to recover the child’s hand, Cook said.
“We’ve not found it in the backyard. Our fear is that it may have been ingested by the dog,” Cook said.
According to the dog’s owners, they have not bitten anyone in the past. Both dogs were taken into custody by animal control officers.
The child was flown to Primary Children’s Hospital in serious but stable condition.
This is a developing story. More information will be added as it becomes available.
Today’s Top Stories
- Salt Lake City Moving To New Neighborhood Clean Up Program
- Alaska moose poacher fined $100,000, sentenced to jail
- ERA Utah supporters hold rally at the State Capitol building
- How to care for Poinsettias
- Bountiful police release video of pawn shop shooting
- Hill AFB airman to face charges related to burned police car
- Son of infamous polygamist leader, Warren Jeffs, is dead
- BYU and UVU issue statement, advise two-week deadline to improve numbers
- Heart of Utah: Storytelling festival helps young performers find their voices
- Legal expert says insanity defense not likely for Grantsville teen