SALT LAKE CITY — Video shows Oklahoma City Thunder star Russell Westbrook berating, swearing at and threatening to fight a Utah Jazz fan and his wife at a game Monday night.
The video is getting a lot of national attention the morning after the Thunder beat the Jazz in Salt Lake City.
The fan in the altercation spoke exclusively to KSL TV’s Jeremiah Jensen, saying it started when Joe Ingles of the Jazz accidentally poked the Thunder’s Paul George in the eye.
“Joe goes over and apologizes immediately, Russ is just carrying on, f-bombing and acting a fool down here, and everybody’s getting on him,” said Shane Kiesel. Then he talked about Westbrook’s knees: “I thought it was ice, I told him ‘sit down and ice your knees bro.’ He turned to me and said, ‘It’s heat,’ and I went, “Well you’re gonna need it.'”
Kiesel said he and his wife didn’t do anything wrong.
“I never said a swear word to him. And she never left her seat, never said a word, hands in her lap,” he said.
He’s most upset that his wife was threatened.
Meanwhile, Westbrook was calm when he gave his statement to the media after the game.
“Young man and his wife in the stand told me to get down on my knees like I used to,” he said.
The Thunder point guard believed the statement from the fan was racial, and that it’s unfair that players receive no protection.
“If I had to do it over again, I would say the same exact thing,” he said.
Westbrook then clarified that he would never harm a woman.
Today’s Top Stories
- To eat, or not to eat breakfast — that is the question
- Motherhood, family size increasing in U.S.
- How bad does it hurt to be stung by a giant murder hornet?
- ‘He changed my life’: Afghan pilot remembers Major Brent Taylor
- The Best Family RV Vacations in Utah: 3 Fun RV Trip Planning Ideas for Your Next Summer Adventure
- What is coronavirus and Covid-19? An explainer
- Starbucks has officially abandoned straws for sippy cup lids … well, mostly
- Tara Francyk-Wells – West Jordan Elementary
- How does the Electoral College work?
- Utah man critically injured in bike crash at Canyonlands National Park