CANYONLANDS NATIONAL PARK, Utah (AP) — Authorities say a 33-year-old University of Iowa graduate student found dead at Canyonlands National Park in southern Utah apparently fell 500 feet (152.4 meters) from an overlook.
The San Juan County Sheriff’s Office said Jonathan Hogue’s body was found Friday at the base over the Green River Overlook following a search that began Tuesday.
His car was found near the overlook in the park’s Island in the Sky district.
Hogue was described as an avid hiker known for going off trail and traveling long distances.
Today’s Top Stories
- ‘I just wanted to be better’: Utah woman details experience with heroin addiction
- How someone’s pet goldfish destroyed an entire ecosystem at Maple Lake
- Mom has warning for others after getting scary phone call
- What to do if you encounter a dangerous animal in the wild
- The original Gerber Baby just turned 93
- What happened? Anatomy of a violent NASCAR crash
- After deadly ambush, Sen. Mike Lee talks striking back at Mexican drug cartels
- Hostage situation in Tooele ends with fatal officer-involved shooting
- Growing up poor changes DNA, scientists find
- Home prices increase in Salt Lake City during the pandemic