SALT LAKE CITY — Residents of some 200 apartments have been allowed to go back home, hours after an evacuation caused by a gas leak near 1st Avenue and A Street.
Salt Lake City firefighters say they were called to the area at 7:00 this morning after a public utilities crew, who was working on a water main break down the street, reported smelling gas. It’s unclear how the line got damaged or if it’s connected to that earlier water main break.
— Kelli Pierce (@KelliReports) March 19, 2019
Dominion Energy was able to shut down the line before noon.
Dominion Energy spokeswoman Dana Peterson explained what they did.
“Because gas flows in both directions in this particular pipe, we dig holes on either side of that damaged area. We squeeze down the gas so gas no longer flows, [then] we go in and we make the repair,” Peterson said.
Residents were finally allowed back home after an hours-long process to make sure every building was safe.
“We’ll go into those buildings. Make sure gas didn’t migrate into those buildings. As soon as those are clear, we’ll start letting people back in and start making the repair,” Peterson said.
Dominion Energy will then completely repair the line. They stress that natural gas is not toxic.
Temporary shelters were set up at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints’ meeting house on 1st Avenue and the Sorenson Multicultural Center.
Today’s Top Stories
- Friends and climbers mourn a Utah man who died on Mt. Everest
- Plan to retrieve Titanic radio spurs debate on human remains
- Officer Dallas Smith & Officer Cory Lewis, Spanish Fork Police Department
- My father is an addict — one child’s letter about addiction
- The first ever YouTube video was uploaded 15 years ago today. Here it is
- Jerry Silva, South Salt Lake Police Department
- Democrats set stage for approval of impeachment ground rules
- Bodies of man and his slave unearthed from ashes at Pompeii
- Mirroring grandfather, Kim rides the rails to Trump summit
- Angela Kirk – Noah Webster Academy