SANDY, Utah — Police say a deadly drive-by shooting in Midvale ended when the suspect crashed his car and died by suicide in Sandy.
The drive-by shooting happened in the parking lot of a Maverik station in Midvale around 9 p.m. Wednesday night and when officers arrived, they say they found the victim dead in his car.
Witnesses described seeing the shooter driving a Jeep Wrangler, which police found a few hours later, after which a chase ensued.
Police say the suspect’s car crashed and rolled outside an elementary school in Sandy, and when officers approached they found the driver had died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Police say the scene should be clear before kids arrive for school, but the Canyons School District is still assessing damage to the school grounds.
Regarding the police incident that ended at Peruvian Park Elementary early this morning: We anticipate holding school as usual. If that changes, as we assess the damage to the property, we’ll alert parents via our emergency-notification system.
— Canyons District (@canyonsdistrict) March 21, 2019
Police say they are investigating the relationship between the shooter and victim, and the motive for the drive-by.
Today’s Top Stories
- Biden gets into testy exchange with man over gun rights
- Forest Service letting the East Fork Fire burn
- The story of Sgt. Cade Brenchley, hit by a car in line of duty
- Sen. Mike Lee: Trump is not guilty
- Utah lawmakers push back on ‘America’s Red Rock Wilderness Act’
- One dead, two injured in overnight Salt Lake shooting
- Fake high school sports sponsorship scam targeting Utah businesses
- Lee parts ways with President over who killed Saudi journalist
- Utah earthquake preparation and “The Big One”
- New wildlife bridge comes with cameras, warnings