Texas Tech has reached the Final Four for the first time in school history.
The third-seeded Red Raiders defeated No. 1 seed Gonzaga 75-69 on Saturday in the West Regional final.
Jarrett Culver, the Big 12 Player of the Year, led the Red Raiders with 19 points. Matt Mooney scored 17 and Davide Moretti added 12 for Texas Tech (30-6). The Red Raiders will play the Duke-Michigan State winner next Saturday in Minneapolis.
Rui Hachimura scored 22 points, Brandon Clarke scored 18 and Josh Perkins added 16 for Gonzaga (33-4).
Gonzaga led 37-35 at halftime after a first half that featured nine ties and nine lead changes.
Moretti hit a 3-pointer with just under four minutes remaining to put the Red Raiders up 63-58. He drained another three with 1:46 to play that gave the Red Raiders a six-point lead.
With about a minute to play and Tech ahead by six, Tech’s Tariq Owens blocked a 3-pointer by Hachimura, then saved the ball to a teammate. Replays showed Owens was out of bounds before the save, but the play was not reviewable. Tech’s Brandone Francis made one of two free throws to make it a seven-point lead with 52 seconds to play.
Today’s Top Stories
- 47-year-old mother of four graduates top of her class at UVU College of Science
- Will Pettit – Granite Park Junior High
- Officer Tanya Turnbow, Tooele City Police Department
- The 90 minutes that cost Principal Ford White his job
- Much loved St. George runner dies after 10-year fight with cancer
- Nonprofit projects pay increase for Utah workers in 2021
- Lay Kou- Southland Elementary
- Hey, sports fans: Joey Chestnut and Miki Sudo crush the hot dog contest — again
- Fears of ‘Wild West’ as COVID-19 blood tests hit the market
- 100-year-old ‘Candy Bomber’ tests positive for COVID-19