“This unprecedented step, led by the Department of State, recognizes the reality that Iran is not only a State Sponsor of Terrorism, but that the IRGC actively participates in, finances, and promotes terrorism as a tool of statecraft,” Trump said in a statement that described the IRGC as “the Iranian government’s primary means of directing and implementing its global terrorist campaign.”
Iran warned this weekend that if the US went ahead with the designation, Tehran would retaliate by designating the US military as a terrorist organization in return.
Iranian parliamentarian Seyed Jawad Sadatinejad told Iran’s state-run FARS News on Saturday, “If any stupidity is carried out by the Americans, the Islamic Republic of Iran will practice reciprocity and designate the US military, which has killed many innocent people, to the list of terrorist groups.” He said Iran could then treat US troops in the region the same way they treated terror groups like ISIS and Al-Qaeda, reports FARS News.
The designation will be the first time that the United States has ever named a part of another government as a foreign terrorist organization.
This story is breaking and will be updated
™ & © 2019 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah Poison Control Center says they need a funding bump to continue
- Bear euthanized after scratching a tent and a boy on a scouting trip
- Inside Sources: How criminals, addicts and homeless transform their lives free of charge
- Jared Nicol, Hildale council member, jailed on suspicion of stalking
- Jury trial dates set for Lori Vallow in death, disappearance of Idaho children
- Mat and Savanna Shaw, a viral daddy-daughter singing duo sharing hope through music
- Why the US dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima 74 years ago today
- The most generous state in America is Utah – again
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Park City hiker in Idaho
- $1 million loan for affordable housing approved by Salt lake City Council