SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — North Korea announced that it has test-fired a new type of tactical guided weapon.
The Korean Central News Agency says Chairman Kim Jong Un observed the firing of the weapon Wednesday by the Academy of Defense Science.
The agency reports that Kim said “the development of the weapon system serves as an event of very weighty significance in increasing the combat power of the People’s Army.”
The agency says Kim mounted an observation post to learn about the test-fire of the new-type tactical guided weapon and guide the test-fire.
The announcement came after reports of new activity at a North Korean missile research center and long-range rocket site where the North is believed to build long-range missiles targeting the U.S. mainland.
The White House said it was aware of the report and had no comment.
The Associated Press could not immediately and independently verify North Korea’s claim.
Today’s Top Stories
- Heat advisory: FEMA says it’s too hot outside
- Utah’s Gail Miller is America’s 14th richest self-made woman
- Powerful typhoon lashes Philippines, killing at least 10
- ‘The End’ of Fortnite leaves millions staring at a black hole
- With online learning, class bullies fade to the background
- You can now pay thousands of dollars to talk to celebrities for 10 minutes. Thanks, Cameo
- Aaron Hadfield – Brighton High School
- Amy Madsen – Ellison Park Elementary
- Police ask for help finding suspect who attacked hiker
- Comic-Con is cancelled. But it lives virtually!