SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Authorities have arrested a 21-year-old man who is suspected of attacking a police officer using a piece of wood at a Salt Lake City area middle school.
Unified Police Sgt. Melody Gray said Kalen Cook of Bluffdale was arrested Monday on suspicion of aggravated assault, criminal trespassing and drug-related charges.
Cook was booked in jail. It’s unknown if he has an attorney.
Gray says the school resource officer confronted Cook after he saw him carrying the wood around South Hills Middle School in Riverton Monday afternoon. Other officers arrived on the scene to stop the attack.
The officer suffered injuries to his face, head and body.
She says no students or staff were involved in the altercation.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah House OKs bill to bring back vehicle registration postcards
- Much loved St. George runner dies after 10-year fight with cancer
- Suspect in woman’s death barred from campus, report says
- Don’t get a ticket: Know the difference between solid or striped crosswalks
- Sunya Osborn – Landmark High School
- Utah tourism office unveils three-year plan to keep visitors and money rolling in
- Romney responds after Senate vote acquits former President Trump
- Two construction areas to be aware of this weekend may affect traffic
- Utah women to be honored with new mural from Sgt. Pepper artist
- Jeffrey Epstein found injured in jail cell with marks on his neck, sources say