FORT WORTH, Texas — A Texas family is mourning the loss of a 19-year-old missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, after a case of accidental asphyxiation.
Elder Andrew Carr of Fort Worth died Saturday morning as a result of fumes from a faulty water heater in his Mexico Mexico City Northwest Mission apartment.
The missionary’s companion was unharmed.
“We extend our deepest sympathies to his parents and loved ones as they deal with this tragedy,” church spokesman Daniel Woodruff said. “We pray they will be sustained and feel the comfort of the Holy Spirit during this difficult time.”
Elder Car had been serving in Mexico since October 2018.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah’s number of deaths from COVID-19 jumps to 8
- Second Amendment rally at state capitol to push back against new gun laws
- Sergeant Joe Cyr, Salt Lake City Police Department
- New dress guidelines announced for male missionaries — in some areas
- State parks hope to have new ‘glamping’ campsites available for busy Memorial Day weekend
- Utah Utes let go of Coach K after 10 seasons
- New podcast details Venezuela imprisonment of Josh Holt
- Salt Lake Police Association speaks out against new use of force rules
- Utah man accused of intentionally coughing on people, might face assault charges
- Salmonella outbreak killing Utah songbirds, what you can do