HILL AIR FORCE BASE, Utah (AP) — A squadron of F-35A jet fighters from Hill Air Force Base in Utah has deployed to Aviano Air Base in Italy.
A statement released by Hill officials said the squadron arrived Friday and will participate in exercises and conduct training with other Europe-based aircraft during a deployment expected to last several weeks.
The statement said the deployment is part of a “theater security package” in which U.S. forces rotate to Europe to deter adversaries and assure allies of the U.S. commitment to regional security.
The statement says the deployment is the second to Europe by a Hill-based F-35A squadron and that the first took place in 2017 when a squadron deployed to a British base in England.
Today’s Top Stories
- Thomas Saunders – Rocky Mountain Junior High
- The most generous state in America is Utah – again
- A new conversation: Dave & Dujanovic starts June 4
- KSL NewsRadio picks up Murrow award for tour bus crash coverage
- Changing water flow leads to more bugs in Grand Canyon
- To eat, or not to eat breakfast — that is the question
- Multiple wildfires burning across Utah
- Child poverty in Utah is down from last year
- Friend: no matter what missing girl did, she doesn’t deserve to be shamed
- In-depth: Black police officers talk race relations in Utah