SALT LAKE CITY — Charges were filed on Tuesday against Derek Orr, 29, with two first-degree felonies of aggravated robbery and child kidnapping.
Orr was the main suspect in a carjacking that happened earlier this month where police say he pulled a woman out of her minivan and drove off with her young daughter still inside.
The carjacking happened around 1:30 pm on May 16th when police say Orr approached the woman driving the minivan stopped at Green Street between 600 and 700 East and pulled her out of the car.
Lt. Jenn Diedrich said the man then fled westbound on 2100 S and that witnesses that saw the carjacking take place followed the man as far as State Street while they called police.
The woman’s daughter was later found wandering outside near Publik Coffee on West Temple when a concerned bystander “noticed a little girl crying and asking for ‘mommy’.”
Shortly after, police were able to identify Orr from the nearby surveillance video from a store Orr was in before the carjacking and were able to arrest him in a Salt Lake home shortly after receiving a tip.
Charging documents have asked that his bail be set at $250,000.
Today’s Top Stories
- Protected: Test
- Wildlife bridge crossing opens over I-80 in Parleys Canyon
- CPAC chair: Romney not invited over fears for his safety
- Rabbi says gun ‘miraculously jammed’ in California attack
- The original Gerber Baby just turned 93
- Granite School District to publish COVID-19 case counts for all schools
- What could you cut out to help you save $1,000?
- Crocodiles and alligators were once vegetarians, Utah researchers say
- Utah man’s body recovered after jump from top of waterfalls
- New Saratoga Springs middle school still not ready