SANDY — Sandy’s mayor reinstated the city’s public utilities director, months after a scare over contaminated water linked to a fluoride overfeed.
City leaders put Tom Ward on administrative leave in February while launching an independent investigation into the water contamination. A system malfunction flooded pipes with fluoride, leading to elevated levels of copper and lead in the city of Sandy’s drinking water supply.
A new report into what happened found Ward’s department’s response to the situation was both prompt and diligent. It says Ward was thoughtful about his decisions and took the appropriate actions to best serve the city’s residents.
However, the report does criticize communications errors within the Public Works Departments, the city’s notification process, and its ability to notify those who were affected by the contamination. It also stressed the importance of communicating more with those affected.
Overall, the independent report says Sandy’s response to the entire issue fell within standards typical of the industry. It found the city did not hide information from the public.
Earlier this spring, health officials said 239 people in all were sickened by the contaminated water, all within a relatively small area of Sandy — mostly with gastrointestinal symptoms. One person tested positive for elevated levels of lead.
The city reimbursed affected households about $2,600 each.
Today’s Top Stories
- Mars might have salty ponds next to its underground lake, raising the possibility of Martian life
- Three things you need to do before you can run a marathon
- AP changes writing style to capitalize ”b” in Black
- Officer Zachary Nold, Ogden City Police Department
- Purge The Spurge: Utah County Offers To Exchange Invasive Poisonous Plant For Native Plant…
- Woman sentenced for allegedly buying biological weapon to kill roommate
- Utah Board of Higher Education backs Dixie State University name change
- Kevin Salmon, Cottonwood Heights PD
- Running may be better for the heart than swimming, new study shows
- Identity of man found in cave 40 years ago revealed to be from Utah; has lengthy criminal history