PLEASANT GROVE, Utah – Nearly 50 people were either transported or went to a hospital after being exposed to too much chlorine at a Pleasant Grove pool Tuesday afternoon.
The incident began about 5 p.m. at South Pleasant Grove Veterans Memorial Pool, 582 East 300 in Pleasant Grove.
Most of these people are believed to be children. Pleasant Grove Police Captain Britt Smith described it as a “freak” malfunction of a pump system.
“That pump shut down and it tripped,” Smith said. “When it was turned back on there was an inordinate amount of chlorine that was pumped into a single jet into the pool and so there was an increased amount of chlorine that was experienced in an isolated area.”
Eight ambulances were used to transport over two dozen people from the pool to local hospitals.
“The patients initially presented with bloody noses, coughing, and vomiting,” Smith said. “So anybody with those symptoms were transported.”
He said there were about 22 people who self-transported to the hospital. He also says they don’t believe there to be any life-threatening injuries.
While chlorine gas is still likely in the area, Smith says it is not dangerous enough to evacuate.
Media Update: All 16 patients treated at the @Intermountain American Fork Hospital due to the #Chlorine incident from Pleasant Grove Pool have been treated and released or transferred to another hospital. Thank you Emergency Department caregivers! pic.twitter.com/kLlceHErhx
— Erin Goff (@ErinGoff18) June 5, 2019
Today’s Top Stories
- AP changes writing style to capitalize ”b” in Black
- Toni Morrison, ‘Beloved’ author and Nobel laureate, dies at 88
- Actress sues actor Tom Sizemore, claiming sex abuse on set
- Where are fires burning across the western US? An interactive map
- Feds warn UFO enthusiasts against storming Area 51: The military ‘stands ready’
- Bodies of missing girls found in Utah Lake
- Businesses in downtown Salt Lake hope in-person General Conference will return ASAP
- Charter school teacher charged with child abuse
- Forest Service letting the East Fork Fire burn
- Sergeant Brian Taylor, Provo Police Department