KEARNS — Unified police say its officers have arrested three in connection with a shooting in Kearns that left one man dead and another man injured.
In a statement made on Saturday, Unified Police Sgt. Melody Gray said “after tireless hours” of investigation, the police acquired and developed information that led to the arrests of three people.
Sgt. Gray says police have arrested Lewellyn Auvaa, 38, of Kearns, Lafeta Piuila, 45, of Salt Lake City, and Joleen Warner, 29, also of Salt Lake City.
Midvale resident John Herman Tonga, 34, was killed in the shooting on Wednesday. Police say his body was found in the front yard of a home at 4805 S. 4720 West.
Police say another man received a gunshot wound. He went to the St. Mark’s Taylorsville Emergency Center. The man, who remains unidentified, was then taken to the Intermountain Medical Center in serious condition
At the home where the body was found, police say there were six other people were inside the home at the time of the shooting, about 7:30 a.m. on Wednesday.
This story will be updated.
Today’s Top Stories
- Grandson arrested on suspicion of murder in SLC house fire
- 2 men charged in ’02 killing of Run-DMC star Jam Master Jay
- Champion bodybuilder turns himself in on Utah rape charges
- Golden Spoke Event
- Coronavirus enters Salt Lake County jails
- Utah clears backlog in rape kit testing, following through with 2017 law
- Valentine’s is Long Since Over: Here are 5 Year Round Ways You Can Continue to Share…
- Inside Sources: Studying trust (and distrust) in America
- Utah Jazz to celebrate 40th season in the state
- Should we lower the voting age to 16? Nancy Pelosi says: “Yes.”