WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah — West Valley City firefighters believe a vagrant who was smoking may have accidentally started a fire that was visible to drivers along I-215.
A tree caught fire just before 5:00 a.m. Monday along Decker Lake near the Maverik Center.
No one was around when firefighters arrived on the scene, but they are sure a person started it.
West Valley City Fire says they had a little trouble getting to the blaze. The fire did not spread far because there were not a lot of dry grasses due to the wet and cool weather Salt Lake County has had recently.
Utah Highway Patrol kept traffic away from the area until the fire was extinguished about an hour later.
Today’s Top Stories
- Changes to the HOV lanes for hybrid vehicles in Utah, starting today
- Disney World’s July 11 reopening: 6 things to watch
- “Super lice” cases rise 30 percent nationwide
- Man stuck on avalanche deposit on Utah’s Mount Timpanogos
- When do pandemics end? Utah lawmakers look at metrics for COVID-19 “endgame”
- BYU review of 115 studies shows masks effective in slowing COVID-19
- Poll says 12% of Utahns say they will opt-out of the COVID-19 vaccine
- Live Mic: Nazi headstone in Utah to be removed
- ‘I just wanted to be better’: Utah woman details experience with heroin addiction
- Storm clean up efforts from wind damage is bringing communities together