WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah — West Valley City firefighters believe a vagrant who was smoking may have accidentally started a fire that was visible to drivers along I-215.
A tree caught fire just before 5:00 a.m. Monday along Decker Lake near the Maverik Center.
No one was around when firefighters arrived on the scene, but they are sure a person started it.
West Valley City Fire says they had a little trouble getting to the blaze. The fire did not spread far because there were not a lot of dry grasses due to the wet and cool weather Salt Lake County has had recently.
Utah Highway Patrol kept traffic away from the area until the fire was extinguished about an hour later.
Today’s Top Stories
- What actually happened at Area 51?
- Moose goes cliff-diving, swims off without a scratch
- Susan Powell can’t be in Nutty Putty Cave, investigators say
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces first ever African-American General Authority
- Gov Cox: All Utah residents eligible for vaccine next Wednesday
- Dogs that attacked girl will not be euthanized
- Iranian hackers said to target presidential campaign
- Inmates cook up a fresh start in jail kitchen
- Living near a gun shop or in a rural area puts you at higher suicide risk
- Local police respond to nationwide T-Mobile issue