ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – People who know the Utah veterinarian shot in New Mexico are struggling to understand why he was reportedly killed in an Albuquerque brewery. They say the man they knew is very different than the man they’re hearing about in the news.
Investigators in New Mexico are staying tight-lipped about the details of the case. However, the Albuquerque Journal is reporting that a woman called 911 saying her ex-boyfriend had been stalking her. That man, later identified as Cody Wrathall, reportedly walked into the Nexus Brewery with a gun which led to him being shot by an off-duty FBI agent.
Police tell KSL they’re still trying to collect surveillance of the shooting.
The news of Wrathall’s death is sending shockwaves through the state’s veterinary community. Many people are commenting on social media, saying that doesn’t sound like the kind of thing Wrathall would do.
His for Future Farmers of America advisor, Bob Gowans, says Wrathall was a devoted father and a skilled vet.
“I know that a lot of people in the profession he was considered very talented and held in high regard,” Gowans says.
Wrathall had been working with the South Valley Equine clinic in South Jordan. Coworkers like Mindy Farnes say he was kind, loving and always able to make people smile, even during hard times.
“We’re dealing with a great loss. He leaves a big void, not only with his clientele but with his coworkers,” she says, adding, “He was a really good guy, a guy that always brought good cheer and a happy life to some situation that people are just struggling with.”
Today’s Top Stories
- Kaysville police, US Marshals arrest man accused of impersonating officer
- Jazz center Rudy Gobert moved to tears by All-Star snub
- Proposed bill would make gun owners civilly liable if a gun they lend out is used in a crime
- Elizabeth Smart reveals details of assault, and what she’s doing about it
- 8-year-old skiier injured after falling from Park City chairlift
- Pro-Hong Kong signs were confiscated at the Washington Wizards game
- Volunteers ready to glean extra fruit around Cache Valley
- Silver Island: a desert escape well worth a visit
- UPDATED: Missing 6-year old found, mother in custody
- Friend catches girl, 18, after climbing accident