KANAB, Utah — A 21-year-old may be facing charges after he is suspected of driving a boat while under the influence when he hit a rock, throwing an 18-year-old girl into Lake Powell, killing her.
According to an affidavit from the Kanab 6th District Court, Triston Harrison, 21, was arrested for investigation of driving under the influence causing serious bodily injury, automobile homicide, and failure to maintain a proper lookout.
Police say that Harrison was driving the boat last Friday when he hit a rock while intoxicated, beaching the boat, and throwing 18-year-old Jayla Hiatt, of Spanish Fork, killing her.
The affidavit also states that an officer could “smell the strong odor of alcoholic beverages” coming from him and “observed his eyes to be glossy and bloodshot.”
Court documents also say that Police believe Harrison was on the wrong side of traffic buoys and failing to keep a safe following distance from other boats putting other people, “under unnecessary risk.”
Today’s Top Stories
- Elizabeth Smart reveals details of assault, and what she’s doing about it
- What to do if you encounter a dangerous animal in the wild
- United Angels Foundation
- Earthquake in Utah causes chemical spill at Kennecott plant, but no danger to public health
- Santa, reindeer granted permit to enter US on Christmas Eve
- Utah Medical Examiner’s Office finds no link between COVID-19 vaccine and deaths
- Dave & Dujanovic: Utah coronavirus survivor talks about his ordeal
- Movie theater operators hope ‘Tom and Jerry’ gives the industry a much needed boost
- Ingenuity Mars helicopter: The historic journey to fly on another planet
- FBI Confidential: Human trafficking may be happening in your local park