HERRIMAN — A 17-year-old motorcycle rider is in the hospital in extremely critical condition after Herriman Police say he hit the back of a dump truck’s pup trailer.
He was not wearing a helmet at the time.
Police say witnesses described the teen as speeding and weaving in and out of traffic before the accident at 7:20 this morning on Mountain View Corridor and 12800 South.
“He had been passing vehicles on the shoulder [and] driving recklessly. We do have some tire marks that we’ll work through as our reconstructionist puts the scene back together,” said Sgt. Cody Stromberg.
Investigators believe he was on the shoulder trying to pass another vehicle when he hit the truck.
Police want to speak with the truck driver, who may not know there was a crash.
“We don’t believe that the impact [to the truck] was significant enough, so he continued down the road,” said Sgt. Stromberg.
This is at least the third major crash in northern Utah involving a motorcycle in recent weeks, which is why law enforcement is reminding people to be careful when lane filtering.
Today’s Top Stories
- Thomas Saunders – Rocky Mountain Junior High
- The most generous state in America is Utah – again
- A new conversation: Dave & Dujanovic starts June 4
- To eat, or not to eat breakfast — that is the question
- Body of Arizona man recovered from Lake Powell marina
- In-depth: Black police officers talk race relations in Utah
- Child poverty in Utah is down from last year
- Changing water flow leads to more bugs in Grand Canyon
- Satellite imagery finds likely Kim train amid health rumors
- Ben & Jerry’s sued over ‘happy cow’ characterization