SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A 25-year-old man died after it appears he drowned in a mountain reservoir in Utah.
Utah State Parks spokesman Lt. Eric Stucki said in a news release Monday that Shervin Rayeneh was boating at East Canyon reservoir Sunday with friends and family when he jumped into the water. He began to struggle and never resurfaced.
Stucki says it appears he drowned but they are awaiting the cause of death from the medical examiner.
He says the cold water might have played a role in his death. The water is about 10-15 degrees colder this summer than at the same time last year due to a cold spring.
Rayeneh is from Salt Lake County.
The reservoir is located at the East Canyon State Park, which is about 20 miles (33 kilometers) northeast of Salt Lake City.
Today’s Top Stories
- Hurricane State Liquor Store closes, employee tests positive for COVID-19
- Lunar eclipse during supermoon set for early Wednesday morning
- Three people gored as running of the bulls ends in Pamplona
- Man charged with selling illegal THC cartridges for vape pens
- Sears staves off liquidation, stores to remain open
- Recall issued on frozen Taquitos and Chimichangas
- Trooper Justin Hansen
- Utah lawmakers approve bill aimed at regulating ‘troubled teen’ centers
- SLC hit hard by flash flooding
- Utah football fans honor Ty Jordan with “The Ty Jordan Challenge”