MILLCREEK CANYON — What was originally reported as a self-inflicted gunshot death in Millcreek Canyon Friday turned out to be a homicide, police say.
Unified Police Detective Kevin Mallory says the 17-year-old victim was shot as he fought with a relative over control of a handgun.
Nineteen-year-old Emilio Madrigal Rios has been booked into jail on charges of manslaughter and obstruction of justice.
People at the Rattlesnake Trailhead tried to help the victime after he was shot, but he died at the scene.
His name hasn’t been released. Officers are still investigating what brought the two into the canyon.
Today’s Top Stories
- Latter-day Saints apostle, cardiologist weighs in on wearing masks
- Trouble with Teams? Microsoft reports problems with “multiple 365 services.”
- Officer Tanya Turnbow, Tooele City Police Department
- Passenger says they asked boat driver to stop drinking before deadly Lake Powell crash
- Court weighs if lawyers can compel child victims to testify
- Temple Square lights turn on tonight to kick start the holidays
- Police: Couple arrested for marijuana-themed event
- Pilot who crashed his own home in Payson had hangar code
- How in person voting works in different counties along the Wasatch
- “Euthanize the police dog” Social Media calls to cancel Paw Patrol