MILLCREEK CANYON — What was originally reported as a self-inflicted gunshot death in Millcreek Canyon Friday turned out to be a homicide, police say.
Unified Police Detective Kevin Mallory says the 17-year-old victim was shot as he fought with a relative over control of a handgun.
Nineteen-year-old Emilio Madrigal Rios has been booked into jail on charges of manslaughter and obstruction of justice.
People at the Rattlesnake Trailhead tried to help the victime after he was shot, but he died at the scene.
His name hasn’t been released. Officers are still investigating what brought the two into the canyon.
Today’s Top Stories
- Mount Ogden Junior High School moving to online classes Nov. 4
- Lynda Carter offers wonderful performance at FanX
- Trump says FDA will fast track anti-viral treatments for patients with coronavirus
- RV, Starbucks at center of traffic snarl in SLC
- Utah metal ‘monolith’ that garnered national attention reported missing
- Union Pacific parks over a hundred locomotives in Salt Lake rail yard
- 3-year-old Spanish Fork girl falls from 2nd story window
- Salt Lake City high schoolers now in class four days a week
- Getting Pulled Over is the Worst but Here’s How You Can Make Sure You Have a Safe…
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Park City hiker in Idaho