SOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP) — The Latest on shootings in the Indiana city where Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg is mayor (all times local):
Violence has flared again in the Indiana city where Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg is mayor.
The St. Joseph County Metro Homicide Unit says 27-year-old Brandon Williams of Niles, Michigan, died after a shooting at Kelly’s pub in South Bend. Another 10 people were wounded by gunshots in South Bend early Sunday.
A statement says that five of the 10 wounded remain in the hospital in stable condition. The others were treated and released.
St. Joseph County Sheriff William Redman says that his officers assisted South Bend police in “controlling a crowd of over 100 upset and angry citizens” who came to Memorial Hospital from Kelly’s Pub early Sunday, causing a lockdown at the hospital.
It was not immediately clear what prompted the shooting. No suspect has been apprehended.
Buttigieg later Sunday faced criticism at a town hall meeting from citizens who are angry about the shooting of a black man by a white police officer a week ago.
Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg faced criticism Sunday from angry black residents of South Bend, Indiana, at an emotional town hall meeting a week after a white police officer fatally shot a black man in the city where he is mayor.
Buttigieg (BOO’-tuh-juhj) said he would call for an outside investigation of the shooting of 54-year-old Eric Logan by Sgt. Ryan O’Neill.
The town hall grew contentious when some community members questioned whether the mayor had done enough to reform the police department in the city of 100,000 people, which is about a quarter black.
Buttigieg left the campaign trail for several days to deal with the reaction to the shooting, holding a late night news conference, meeting with the family of the man killed and addressing a protest rally where he was heckled by some in the crowd.
AP writer Sara Burnett in Chicago contributed to this story.
Today’s Top Stories
- 2 men charged in ’02 killing of Run-DMC star Jam Master Jay
- Gas station clerk tells her Susan Powell story for the first time publicly
- Grandson arrested on suspicion of murder in SLC house fire
- Romney is president of a secret society in Washington
- Coronavirus enters Salt Lake County jails
- How to make sure you weather the storm and cleanup safely
- I-80 towards Echo Junction opens after propane tank rollover forces evacuation
- Man who pleaded guilty to Mackenzie Lueck’s murder sentenced to life in prison
- Cindy Smith, Hayden Peak Elementary
- Utah clears backlog in rape kit testing, following through with 2017 law