SALT LAKE CITY — A study friend of missing woman Mackenzie Lueck says there’s no reason for people to do so much speculating about her character.
Alexa Peterson says she’s upset with how many people seem to be victim-blaming her, especially with twists in the case, and the talk about Lueck’s social media habits and apparent dating preferences.
“It’s not her fault. On campus, a lot of people say well, she shouldn’t have been casually dating a lot or she shouldn’t have been on that app or tinder is bad, so around campus a lot of people say they’re not going to find her because of the choices she made,” said Peterson.
The Utah Domestic Violence Coalition has also released a statement about Lueck and victim blaming saying, “While we do not know the details of Mackenzie’s disappearance, we do know that victim blaming and shaming is inappropriate and unacceptable. In addition to perpetuating myths about abuse, assault, and violence, victim blaming wrongly excuses the perpetrator’s behaviors.”
“Our focus should solely be on the safety and wellbeing of Mackenzie Lueck.”
–Utah Domestic Violence Coalition
Peterson says what Lueck did is her business. All that matters right now is that she might need help, and she needs to be found.
“She’s been gone this long and so many people are like, well, she would have surfaced earlier if she had not done that, but we didn’t know. It’s not fair to her and it’s not fair to her family,” she said.
Authorities are still asking for the public’s help in finding Mackenzie Lueck. Anyone with information can call the designated tip line for this case, which is 801-799-4420.
Today’s Top Stories
- Getting Pulled Over is the Worst but Here’s How You Can Make Sure You Have a Safe…
- Scientists say vodka from Chernobyl’s exclusion zone is safe to drink
- Latest E. coli outbreak spreads to Utah
- School won’t let CEO pay off student lunch debt
- Storm clean up efforts from wind damage is bringing communities together
- Teens are binge drinking more than ever
- Susan Powell can’t be in Nutty Putty Cave, investigators say
- Utah actor and producer discusses addiction recovery
- Why Notre Dame Cathedral is so important to Catholics worldwide
- Utah agriculture and food: cook any seeds you receive from China