By Marianne Garvey
“I’ve always loved Broadway,” McCarten said. “The inspiration for many of my early songs came from shows like ‘West Side Story,’ ‘My Fair Lady’ and ‘Fiddler on the Roof’, so it seems only fitting to bring my songs to The Great White Way. I’m honored and excited to be working with this great team.”
McCarten added he holds a special spot for Diamond.
“On the mantle-piece in my childhood home in New Zealand, there were always two pictures: one was of the Pope, the other of Neil Diamond. The epic musical catalogue of this Rock and Roll Hall of Famer flowed endlessly off our family record player. As a child you took it into yourself, and to this day I can recite the lyrics of his hits deep into their second or third verses. Imagine my excitement, then, when the opportunity arose to work with Neil on a musical based on his life and music. A very, very easy and so sweet ‘Yes!'”
Producers Ken Davenport and Bob Gaudio announced today that the untitled project is already in development. “Hedwig and the Angry Inch” director Michael Mayer will direct.
Diamond fans can expect his hits like “Sweet Caroline,” “America,” “You Don’t Bring Me Flowers” and “Song Sung Blue,” to be covered in the show. The multiple Grammy-winner has charted 39 Top 40 singles and 16 Top 10 albums both in the US and internationally.
Diamond retired from touring in 2018 after being diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease.
“My thanks goes out to my loyal and devoted audiences around the world. You will always have my appreciation for your support and encouragement,” he said at the time.
™ & © 2019 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- Gas station clerk tells her Susan Powell story for the first time publicly
- Grandson arrested on suspicion of murder in SLC house fire
- 2 men charged in ’02 killing of Run-DMC star Jam Master Jay
- Utah man charged, accused of threatening people displaying a Trump flag
- Champion bodybuilder turns himself in on Utah rape charges
- Man who pleaded guilty to Mackenzie Lueck’s murder sentenced to life in prison
- Golden Spoke Event
- How to make sure you weather the storm and cleanup safely
- Valentine’s is Long Since Over: Here are 5 Year Round Ways You Can Continue to Share…
- Inside Sources: Studying trust (and distrust) in America