West Valley City — A unique Afro-Brazilian martial arts event is coming to Salt Lake this weekend.
“Mestre Jamaika” Mauro Romualdo runs Volta Miuda, which offers classes in Capoeira, the Afro-Brazilian martial art developed by African slaves in Brazil during the 16th century. Capoeira teaches and cultivates movement, music, and philosophy. To commemorate 10 years in Salt Lake, Jamaika invited a number of fellow Capoeiristas to take part in a Show and Cords Ceremony (also referred to as a Batizado).
The ceremony is open to the public on Saturday, July 13, 2019, at 3 pm in the Utah Cultural Celebration Center in West Valley City.
Find more information on their Facebook page
Today’s Top Stories
- State parks hope to have new ‘glamping’ campsites available for busy Memorial Day weekend
- Second Amendment rally at state capitol to push back against new gun laws
- Utah Utes let go of Coach K after 10 seasons
- New dress guidelines announced for male missionaries — in some areas
- Wuhan (finally) bans wild animals at wet markets
- Full transcript of Lori Daybell secret phone call recording
- A wrap-up of Utah election results — and the races we can’t call yet
- Utah Democrats: Board of Education’s Natalie Cline should be held accountable
- Reminder: University of Utah students/staff will be online-only Sept. 27 through Oct. 11
- Mrs. Joni Willis – Pleasant Green Elementary