He did not elaborate on his health condition but says he wants to spend more time with family.
BeGaye is known for championing a 2005 bill to ban uranium mining on the vast reservation that extends into Arizona, New Mexico and Utah.
Council Speaker Seth Damon says BeGaye’s leadership has been soft, sturdy and compassionate.
A special election will be held to fill BeGaye’s seat. Damon can name someone from one of the five communities BeGaye represented to fill in temporarily.
Today’s Top Stories
- Benjamin Keough, grandson of Elvis Presley, dies at 27
- 5 tips to stop touching your face
- Barry Pewtress – Spectrum Academy High School
- Death of Steve Powell removes a lingering hope in Susan Powell case
- Salt Lake City School District gears up for the year to start online
- Detective on the McCluskey case fired for mishandling another young woman’s domestic…
- Excelsior Academy first-graders moved to online school
- All-clear given at Lone Peak High School after possible “wrong school” threat
- Utah lawmakers push for ERA ratification, reviving political battle
- Latest Mitt Romney polls: Republican approval rating drop