WASHINGTON (AP) — House Speaker Nancy Pelosi says her chamber will derail a maverick Democrat’s drive to impeach President Donald Trump.
Texas Rep. Al Green’s resolution cites Trump’s “racist” words this week urging Democratic congresswomen of color to go back to their native countries. And he says Trump is unfit to be president.
Pelosi and other party leaders worry that the vote needlessly forces vulnerable swing-district lawmakers to cast a perilous and divisive vote. Even if the House voted to impeach Trump now, the Republican-run Senate would be certain to acquit him.
Pelosi tells reporters about Green’s resolution, “We’ll get rid of all this right now.”
Green’s measure also risks widening the rift between liberal Democrats itching to oust Trump and Pelosi and others who want to first build stronger public support.
Today’s Top Stories
- NFL wades back into controversy with new Super Bowl police shooting ad
- Knolls Fire Update: Evacuation order lifted but still possible, only 25% contained
- Utah agriculture and food: cook any seeds you receive from China
- VOTE: What is the most popular candy in Utah?
- Should Nike recall its Betsy Ross flag sneaker?
- Oklahoma lawmaker proposes ‘Bigfoot’ hunting season
- Cosmetologists protest bill eliminating certain licensing requirements
- Countdown to Super Tuesday: Candidates hope Utah voters will energize their campaigns
- Super Tuesday votes and delegate counts could take time in Utah