WASHINGTON (AP) — House Speaker Nancy Pelosi says her chamber will derail a maverick Democrat’s drive to impeach President Donald Trump.
Texas Rep. Al Green’s resolution cites Trump’s “racist” words this week urging Democratic congresswomen of color to go back to their native countries. And he says Trump is unfit to be president.
Pelosi and other party leaders worry that the vote needlessly forces vulnerable swing-district lawmakers to cast a perilous and divisive vote. Even if the House voted to impeach Trump now, the Republican-run Senate would be certain to acquit him.
Pelosi tells reporters about Green’s resolution, “We’ll get rid of all this right now.”
Green’s measure also risks widening the rift between liberal Democrats itching to oust Trump and Pelosi and others who want to first build stronger public support.
Today’s Top Stories
- Nintendo is bringing back a super-retro handheld from the 1980s
- ‘Anonymous’ hacker group threatens to “expose many crimes” of Minneapolis PD
- New details about Lake Powell boat crash
- Man dies after hit by car; driver booked for fleeing scene
- Military family robbed in Salt Lake City
- Parents, teachers, students sound off on later school start times
- Church leaders update COVID-19 safety measures for Utah
- APNewsBreak: Lawsuit claims Utah’s Grand America exploited immigrants
- Family announces they’ll say goodbye to Dixie, a dog burned for revenge
- Congressman’s siblings release an attack ad against their own brother