STRAWBERRY RESERVOIR, Utah — The search for two men resumes on Friday after a boat was discovered Thursday afternoon, motor still running just off the shore near Strawberry Reservoir.
According to the Wasatch County Sheriff’s Office, the two are brothers, ages 70 and 61, believed to have been aboard the boat before it was spotted back onshore by another boater along the shoreline near MP 51 of Hwy 40.
The two missing boaters are familiar with the area, according to family members, who are actively assisting crews in the search. Sheriff Jared Rigby says they are working with family members, who are worried, but hopeful as a second day of searching for the two continues.
“We spoke a lot about hope. Their hope is they have the best outcome possible. They’re worried, they’re praying and supporting each other, hoping for the best outcome,” according to Sheriff Rigby.
Deputies say the call came in about 2:30 p.m. Thursday from a passerby who noticed the boat’s motor still running, with no one on board. Wasatch Search and Rescue was called and began a search for an owner. A short time later, it was announced that two brothers, one from Salem, the other from Pleasant Grove were being sought. Names of the two were not immediately released.
The sheriff says crews on the water planned to continue the search overnight, with other teams set to re-join at 6 a.m. Friday morning. Deputies say they are unsure if the two men were wearing life preservers.
Today’s Top Stories
- Investigators make major drug busts on I-80 in Utah
- Chad Daybell in court, prosecution offers new details
- Southeast Utah Health Department – The Hope Squad of Carbon and Emery Counties
- FanX files motion to avoid legal bills
- UPDATED: Six-year-old girl dies on golf course after being hit by dad’s golf ball
- Arrests made in likely murder of missing Kearns woman
- Romney is president of a secret society in Washington
- BYU nanofiber technology making more effective face masks
- Courage Reins
- New to the job, Utah Rep. Blake Moore describes chaos at US Capitol