SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A Utah man will serve up to life in prison after being convicted of killing his ex-girlfriend as he fired more than a dozen rounds into a bedroom window.
The Deseret News reports that police say 47-year-old Gino James Cecala had targeted 25-year-old Paige Espinoza’s current boyfriend when he fired blindly through the window in Magna two years ago.
Espinoza’s mother Kim Wood says her 9-year-old grandson cries every day for his mother as he struggles to make sense of her death.
Cecala said during a Thursday sentencing hearing that he felt a painful sense of loss for her family and son.
Third District Judge James Blanch, though, said it was unclear whether Cecala is fully taking responsibility as he handed down the sentence.
Information from: Deseret News, http://www.deseretnews.com
Today’s Top Stories
- Layton police arrest two suspects in fatal shooting
- Purge The Spurge: Utah County Offers To Exchange Invasive Poisonous Plant For Native Plant…
- Doctor: Utah’s COVID-19 infection rate is a concern, hospitalizations stabilize
- Book Buddies: Kids can read to Utah shelter pets virtually
- University of Utah responds to Dateline report on McCluskey killing
- UPDATE: Search crews find missing 17-year-old in Millcreek Canyon
- VIDEO: Police shooting in Holladay sends one person to hospital
- Man says he removed the mysterious Utah monolith
- All six female Utah state senators walk out to protest invasive abortion ultrasound
- Athletes at the Tokyo Olympics will not need a vaccine to participate, organizers say